The Capital District Council for the Social Studies of New York State is an organization of educators interested in the social studies.
Membership is open to all elementary, secondary, and post secondary educators, related fields as well as, those interested in history and the social sciences.
The Capital District Council includes members from the following New York counties: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Washington, and Warren.
CDCSS provides its members with information regarding the Social Studies through . . .
- Programs on curriculum changes, new materials, instructional methods, and state assessments
- A monthly newsletter featuring a calendar of upcoming events in the Capital District and throughout New York State, columns for classroom teachers in the elementary, middle and high school levels, and announcements of grants, projects, scholarships and workshops for social studies professionals
- Opportunities for in-service credit
- Opportunities to attend lectures given by noted historians and for visitations to historical sites
- Information about opportunities for student field trips
- Professional exchange of ideas and networking opportunities
In addition, the Council . . .
- Represents social studies educators at the regional, state, and national council levels
- Recognizes outstanding social studies educators through its annual presentation of the Robert Neiderberger Award
- Recognizes business and individuals who have contributed to education through its annual presentation of the Partners in Education Awards.
- Provides assistance and resources to members developing materials and programs in social studies education
- Presents a scholarship to a high school senior planning to pursue a career in social studies at the annual Awards Dinner
Department/District memberships are now available!
- 6-10 members from the same district or organization receive a 25% discount off regular price
- 11-20 members receive a 30% discount off regular price
- 21-30 receive a 35% discount off regular price
- 31+ members receive a 40% discount off regular price
- Payment must come directly from the school district and must include the names and information for all teachers they are including in that year’s membership. Please see the membership page for the application.
NOW you have the option to renew fast and easy using PayPal online - go to the membership page.